House Speaker Mike Johnson threatened to protect the rioters from punishment on January 6 by releasing a new film with the faces of the insurrectionists blurred.
Johnson stated at a news conference on Tuesday that we need to blur the faces of individuals who took part in the events of that day to protect them from retaliation and potential charges by the DoJ. Johnson was directly involved in efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
Subsequently, Johnson’s office conceded that the surveillance footage already resides with the justice department.
Certain Republicans alleged that the events of that day were misrepresented. Retired Republican congressman Andrew Clyde of Georgia stated two years ago that demonstrators who had “walked through Statuary Hall showed people in an orderly fashion staying between the stanchions and ropes, taking videos and pictures” as they had entered the Capitol.
He chimed in, suggesting that without knowledge of the video’s date of January 6th, one might mistake it for a typical tourist outing.
369 News has counted over 1,200 indictments related to the attempt to obstruct the certification of the election on January 6.
More than 400 people have received prison sentences, while another 1,000 were identified but not apprehended on January 6.
Because he wants people to do their own study into the Capitol attack, Johnson said he wanted to give the first batch of surveillance footage to the public. This material would cover roughly 90 hours.
“The American people should draw their own conclusions” was Johnson’s stated goal. “Political leaders in Washington should not present a story and expect their followers to accept it as fact.”
Raj Shah, currently Johnson’s deputy chief of staff for communications and a former deputy press secretary in the Trump administration, stated that blurring faces from public viewing room footage is necessary to prevent all forms of retaliation against private citizens from any non-governmental actors. Raj Shah, who is currently Johnson’s deputy chief of staff for communications and was a deputy press secretary in the Trump administration, shared his statement online. There is raw footage available to the Department of Justice that dates back to January 6, 2021.
According to Johnson, who made a promise to the party’s far right during his campaign for his present position, releasing the 44,000-hour video was a condition of his appointment earlier this month.
“Millions of Americans, criminal defendants, public interest organizations, and the media will be able to see for themselves what happened that day, rather than having to rely upon the interpretation of a small group of government officials,” he said in a statement.
At this time, the Colorado Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on Wednesday regarding Trump’s involvement or instigation of the January 6 uprising, as determined by the January 6 committee, and whether this warrants his exclusion from the ballot.
The first of many cases to reach court, this one will examine whether the ex-president can be disqualified under a 14th Amendment provision that prohibits the holding of any public office by anyone who “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” after taking an oath of office to support the Constitution.
A lower Colorado court previously upheld Trump’s eligibility to run for president, despite the exclusion of the presidency in the insurrection clause.
That decision was “pretty surprising,” according to Jena Griswold, Colorado’s secretary of state. The truly shocking element, according to Griswold (a Democrat), who spoke to Politico, was the court’s decision to conclude that the presidency is exempt from Section 3 of the 14th Amendment. If the ruling stands, Donald Trump may do whatever he wants in regards to rebellion.